Monday, March 21, 2011

Thankful of It

Today I helped a patient out to her car by pushing her wheelchair. Well, she was in it, so I pushed her and her wheelchair. It reminded me of the time I was thirteen or fourteen. My friend Steve used a wheelchair, and while hanging out in a lobby on campus, he got out of it and sat on the couch. I asked if I could try out his chair, and he said sure. So I got in and wheeled around, but then I decided to go outside. This was 1985 or so, and they didn't have those buttons that opened doors back then. So here I am, sitting in the wheelchair trying to push a couple of glass doors open enough to get the wheelchair out. This gentleman saw me from outsite and came running up and opened one of the doors. I thanked him as I wheeled past, way too embarrassed to tell him I could walk.

Pushing that patient across the parking lot also reminded me of how thankful I am to be able get outside and participate in the things I like to do. In second grade, after I broke my arm, they put a cast on it. They told me I couldn't go out for recess for a while. On my first day back to school, all the other kids went out for recess, and the teacher told me to stay in. But then she left the room. I sneaked outside, started playing soccer, and promptly fell and broke my cast. They had to cut it off and re-cast it.

I don't worry about it a lot, but I really don't want to get hurt or injured and not be able to get out, never mind the pain. Each day of being healthy is a blessing. Thank you, Lord, for my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers