Monday, March 14, 2011

High Cost of Triathlon

Before I talk about Triathlon, look at this:


It costs $229. Do you know what it is? It's a fishing pole! The reel is not even included! I don't even know if that's the most expensive one; I randomly picked a price tag to look at.

Saturday I went to Bass Pro in Springfield with my father-in-law. It's a great store and I covet everything in there. I barely know how to fish with a bobber, let alone fly fish, but I want a fly fishing pole!

As a non-fisherman, I find $229 for a fishing pole that is not made out of gold a bit excessive. However, later that day, we went to a bike shop. I again randomly turned over a price tag and it read $1500! And the pedals weren't included!

You should know, I find $1500 for a bike quite expensive, but I wasn't surprised. I've priced bikes before, and $1500 is on the lower end. You can spend whatever you want on a bike. And then there's pedals, shoes, and helmets. My father-in-law said he saw a helmet for $260.

Do you need an expensive pole to catch a trout? I doubt it. I saw my friend Chris once catch a very nice bass with a little Mickey Mouse rod and reel. Do you need an expensive bike to finish a triathlon? I hope not. I ride a Lotus that I bought in 1991 or 1992 for $250.00. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. You must have a better memory than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were down at the lake with Tim and Mark Taylor. We were fishing off the dam there and you reeled in that big bass with a kid's pole. That must've been about the time I bought my Lotus.

    ReplyDelete

Followers