Saturday, August 4, 2012

Warsaw Area Sprint Triathlon

Today is my wife's birthday, so happy birthday Michele!

Last Sunday my wife accompanied me to the Warsaw Area Sprint Triathlon. This happened in Warsaw, Missouri. 500 meter swim, 12 mile bike, 5K run. It took me about an hour and twenty minutes.

I was prepared to give props to the company that ran the race, Split Master Timing, but when I looked for the results this morning, a week later, they're still not posted on the website. So they are a little slow in getting results up, but I will give them credit for their organization and keeping it fun for the spectators and racers. They're a husband and wife time and they both wear a microphone. So throughout the race they banter back and forth, give instruction, and explain triathlon to the spectators. This all in between the upbeat music that's blaring.

This race was the shortest triathlon I've ever done. There were only about 17 people who raced, so it was also the smallest race I've ever been in. With so few runners, I think everyone won something. I was first place in my age division! I was also the only one in my age division. Well, there was one other guy, but he ran with his wife side by side, and I assume it was her first ever race of any kind, and they finished dead last. This dude had a serious tri bike and a race kit, so I figure he would've smoked me had he really been running.

Afterwards we got free Subway sandwiches, so you can't beat that.

Here are some pics:


Exiting T1
Exiting T2
Returning from Run

2 comments:

  1. Did you qualify for Kona by winning? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be nice:-) No, not quite. I did get an email from USAT earlier inviting me to run in the Olympic distance championship because I'd "finished in the top 10%" for my age group in a particular race. Once again, I may have been the only 40-45 year old in that race. Gotta love it.

      Delete

Followers