Monday, October 8, 2012

The Doldrums

What should you do after the last race of the season? Take a significant amount of time off? Keep training? Sign up for more races? Eat potato chips and hotdogs for lunch? (I did that last one today, so check.)

It's hard to decide how lazy I should be. What I do know is I don't want to start from zero when I do start, so, I took about a week off in September, and started working again at the end of the month. Nothing heavy, just weights, some running, and swimming.

Wait, what? Swimming?

Yes, I actually went to the pool twice since September 23rd. Since I started triathlons three or four years ago I never hit the pool after September until February. And this time I have a new approach. I am no longer going to just put in laps and try to hit a certain distance. I will do a number of sets and make sure I hit some time goals for those sets. For instance, swim four laps in four minutes, and then beat that by two seconds the next set. That sort of thing. (Our indoor pool here in town is 25 yards long, so a lap is 50 yards, and not 100 meters.)

I also plan to take paper and pen with me to the pool to record my sets and make sure I'm making improvements. I see a few soggy notebooks in my future. How do real swimmers record their workouts? They must have something.

Anyways, I did it the other way all those other years and never got any better, so I'll try it a different way and see what happens.

Otherwise I'm still sitting here in the doldrums, trying to get motivated, and trying to decide if Ironman is for me. Hey, they're racing in Kona this weekend. If that doesn't motivate you, what will?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers