Saturday, March 26, 2011

Swimming a Mile and Shooting Hoops with Kids

Friday I took the day off. Don't be jealous. I still woke up at 5:30, and once the wife and kids were out the door, I went to the pool. With all of my extra time, I spent fifty-six minutes in the pool and swam one mile. That's 1.022727 miles if you're counting, and I am. Eighteen hundred yards to look at it another way. And yes, that's the longest distance I have ever swam.

I have to honest, however, I did take little breaks every 400 or 500 yards. What? Did you want me to drown? There was a life guard there. She looked to be about seventeen and a half. I'm sure she rolled out of bed and went straight to her job of saving lives. She literally wore her pajamas to the pool. She clearly did not expect to have to get into the water. Thankfully she didn't have to pull me out of the water and get her PJs wet. I did end up interacting with another young girl later, but more on that later.

The swim went well. Obviously I have a lot of room for improvement. I need to do that much faster come September, but psychologically it helps to know you can swim that distance without keeling over. My left ankle got just a little tweaked three quarters of the way through. I assume it was saying, "Take it easy, we don't usually do this." At the end of that 36th lap I sat on the edge of the pool and re-evaluated my life.

That was fun, but afterward I went over to the gym to run. It was chilly and windy outside and I didn't feel like messing with that, so I decided to get on the treadmill, where I ran for thirty-five minutes. As I was running I eyed the basketball courts and decided to shoot some hoops.

So I get done running, get a basketball, and find a hoop that no one is shooting at. But then this young girl, I judged her to be the age of my daughter, comes over and starts shooting with me. There was at least one other hoop not being used, and I don't know why she didn't decide to use that one.

I've never been accused of being overly outgoing or social. I'm not the kind of person who's never met a stranger; I meet strangers daily. Sometimes I meet the same strangers several times.  And so I really thought about going down to the other hoop, but the girl was tossing me my ball after I'd clank it off the rim. Once she even chased it down after it bounced underneath the bleachers. At one point she was saying something, so I was forced to take out one of my earphones so I could hear. Finally she left. I think her mom called her. I figured she is just like my daughter in that doing something with someone, like shooting hoops, is better than shooting hoops by yourself. I think they call that extroverted.

So after all of that I was quite beat for the rest of the day, but there is no rest for the weary. I have a diabetes walk, two birthday parties, and a soccer game on Saturday. Oh, and my wife is out of town. I need a nap.

1 comment:

Followers