Wednesday, March 9, 2011

iPhone Lust

i do lust after the iPhone. i hope to get one some day.

But you're a PC man! What the heck?

i blogged earlier this week about recording your workouts. i made a form on Excel, which i print and take to the garage with me when i exercise. There i simply write my numbers onto my form.

That's all well and good, but i realize that it would much more efficient if i could record my numbers electronically directly into whatever software i am using. Right now i transfer my numbers into my log on beginnertriathlete.com. It's a manual process, and it's a little tedious. It's free, so i'm not going to complain about it, but the reporting is a little limited. There is a subscription service you can buy, which i assume would come with more reporting features.

However, i've been reading about some of the fitness apps on the iPhone. A couple of them seem pretty cool. They even let you record your food intake so that you can calculate your calorie usage. i would like to monitor my calories, but i refuse to carry a notebook and pen around, writing down everything i eat just to turn around and transfer it into some program. These apps would let me record my workouts and calories on the fly, and would make it immediately available for reports. Sweet.

The ease of recording your runs is what's nice about my Garmin Forerunner 305. i strap it to my wrist, go for a run, and when i get back i sync it up with 305 software on my PC. It records speed, heart rate, pace, distance, etc. Again, i'll review it more fully at some point, but overall i'm very pleased with it.

And if i ever get one of those iPhones, i'll review one of those fitness apps as well.

1 comment:

  1. Surely they have fitness apps for other mobile platforms. Don't sell your soul so cheaply.

    ReplyDelete

Followers