Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Swimming with My Pants Off-Well, Half Off...

Who doesn't like to get up at 5:30AM just to subject yourself to a possible death by drowning? I know I don't, but because something is wrong in my head I do it. Swimming, or controlled drowning as I know it, is my Achilles heel. If you knew how bad I am at riding and running, then you'd know that is pretty bad.

This morning as I stumbled out of bed and stumbled to the kitchen, I couldn't find my regular swim shorts because my wife put them away. How dare her! I had to grab my orange swim shorts, the ones that don't have a draw string. They're supposed to just ride on your hips. I don't have a lot of hips, so these particular shorts are always on the verge of taking a dive.

So once I got in the water and heading down my lane, I could feel the shorts getting lower and lower. It doesn't help your time when you have to stop and pull up your pants at each turn. Very un-Michael Phelps like. It was embarrassing, but I was already over there and in the water; I wasn't going to stop just because my bahootie (as my kids call it) was high and dry. It wouldn't have been so bad, since there's usually one other old man and older lady (don't tell her I said that, she's swam over a 150 miles at our pool) there while I am, but this morning every lane was full, and at one point I had to share a lane.

When I got home I found my blue shorts, the ones that stay up. I'll wear those tomorrow.

At any rate, I've already logged more swims this March than last March, and I'm determined to swim better this year. I'm sure I could move up a few spots if I could just get out of the water sooner. Yet I keep telling myself that I suck at swimming. I'm sure that is not helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers