Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ouch! That Hurts!

Morning workouts aren't my cup of coffee. First thing in the morning is my least favorite time to do a workout. I prefer to workout about mid-morning, after I've had coffee and my breakfast has a chance to sit for a while. Unfortunately most mid-mornings I'm at work or church. That leaves one mid-morning to do it my way.

Swimming is a problem when it comes to my schedule. The only time the pool is open for lap swimming is first thing in the morning. They open at 5AM. So if I'm going to swim before work, I have to get over there by 5:45AM. [Excuse Alert!] Because it's so hard for me to get over to the pool is why my swimming is so weak.

Now I have another reason to not like working out first thing in the morning. At about 5:30AM the other day, I lifted the curl bar and it felt like someone stabbed me in the back. I promptly blamed it on the time of day. It probably had more to do with not warming up, at all, but come on! Curling should be done when the sun is up.

You really do need to schedule your workouts. You'll find...Hey, why are the Beastie Boys playing in my son's bedroom? OK, just got back. He found it on the radio, No Sleep Til Brooklyn. It's funny what he gravitates towards, and he didn't get it from me. I don't mind the Beastie Boys (though I'm certain they're not appropriate for 10 year old boys) but a couple of years ago when he won the spelling bee, for his reward he picked the Metallica Guitar Hero game. I like a few of those popular Metallica songs, you know, the ones where they sold out, but he prefers that pre-Black Album stuff. The other game out that year was the AC/DC Rock Band game. I guess if he's going to listen to one of those bands, I'd prefer Metallica. Their lyrics seem so esoteric that I don't even know what they're talking about. AC/DC, not so much.

Hey, where was I? Oh, yes. Schedule your workouts. Find the time that is best for you. If it's first thing in the morning, thoroughly warm up first. Keep in mind, however, your workout is probably not the most important part of your life, so schedule accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers