Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A 4:48 Pace? Maybe on the Moon!

The 2011 Boston Marathon is April 18th. I took the liberty of looking up the results from last year. The winner was Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot at 2:05:52. That's 26.2 miles in two hours and five minutes.

You know how every once in a while someone comes out and says the moon landing was a hoax? I've decided that a time of 2:05:52 is a hoax, and a far more impressive one than making the world believe you rode in a spaceship to the moon.

Robert's time mentioned above is a 4:48 pace. Today when I got home and went out for my run, I decided to run at that pace, if at least for a moment. So at about three miles into the run I busted into a sprint (at least for me) in an effort to get my Garmin to read 4:48. I don't want to say I failed, so let's say I sucked...wind, and didn't quite make it.

After trying and, yes, failing to run at a 4:48 pace for even a few yards, I am just amazed that someone can do that over 26.2 miles. But I don't see why I'm so surprised. There is no other field of play where I can even remotely compete with the world's best. But that's what's so great about multi-sport and running events; I can't compete, but they still let me go out onto the same course as pros! Could you get away with that in any other sport?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers