Saturday, January 29, 2011

Triathlon/Golf

Is triathlon like golf? You bet!

Similarities of participating in triathlon and golf:

  • Both can take a big chunk of your day.
  • Green fees and entry fees can take a big chunk out of your wallet.
  • Both require equipment to participate.
  • Purchasing the equipment can take a big chunk out of your wallet.
  • Some guys spend way too much on their equipment.
  • At some point you have to change shoes.
  • There's always the possibility that you'll lose your balls.
How are triathlon and golf different?

  •  A hole in one is bad in triathlon.
I told someone yesterday that I'd lost interest in golf. He'd asked if I was anxious to get back out on the course. I said I'm inclined to go out when invited, but otherwise I don't have any plans to hit the links (that may be the first time I've ever typed "hit the links" [I'm sure I'm yet to say it {maybe today will be the day}]).

When I'm not doing all the stuff I'm required to do, like create blog posts with the indiscriminate use (of) parentheses and brackets, I try to get out and run, bike, and someday, swim. What's up with that?  I have to admit, golf sounds like a better time, especially when you spring for a cart (or when you use the one that belongs to your Father-in-Law). Oh, I just thought of another difference:

  • Adult beverages are frowned upon while participating in triathlon.
Speaking of spending too much on equipment, I got a gift certificate for Christmas that I used to buy a Garmin Forerunner 305. It's pretty nifty. I'll write a little review once I get more used to it and can speak more intelligently about it.  FYI, I just saw that BeginnerTriathlete now lets you upload training data from your Garmin.

OK, enough already!

3 comments:

  1. Another similarity for me: Triathlon and golf both involve getting in the water.

    I can't believe you wasted money on a GPS that won't even help you geocache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate this laptop. What I was trying to say above is the 305 has a Go To function where you set the coordinates and it guides you to the location. Is that what you use for geocaches?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, probably something pretty similar.

    ReplyDelete

Followers