Saturday, September 10, 2011

One Week to Go

The other day I saw this on my bike ride:


I'm not a herpetologist, but I'm pretty sure that is an anaconda. I was riding along and ran over what I thought was a stick, but then the stick moved. I thought, "I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the staff became a serpent," or something like that. I thought that was rather odd, but then I observed other cyclists riding over staffs and making them snakes, so it didn't seem like such a big deal, but then my snake ate all of the other snakes.

I did shepherd the snake off of the trail so that he/she (I'm not a herpetologist) didn't get hit by another bike.

One more week before I'm in Branson getting checked in for the 70.3. Am I ready to get this done? Yes, I am. It's not that I'm tired of training or anxious about doing it.  It's more that I feel ready to do it and don't want spend any more time waiting around. Now, when I say "ready" I don't mean ready to win or be competitive with the good racers. I just mean that I feel like I'm at a place where I can finish it. I've blogged before about how I'm in it to finish it. Finishing is the best I can hope for. Finishing, and not coming in last. Surely I can beat at least one person. Oh great, I just amped up the pressure.

Speaking of taking a break from training, I will immediately cease all swimming related activities for a good little while after I get out of the water next Sunday. Last year I ran my last tri of the year in July, and then didn't swim again until February. I know I ought to train in the wet stuff year round, but I'm so lazy. In '10 I swam from March to July. In '11 I've been swimming since February, and I'm ready for a break.

I did rent a wetsuit for Sunday's race. I hope it arrives so that I can get in at least one practice swim wearing it before I wear it to race.

I also hope my left knee doesn't decide to hassle me during the race. It's still a little angry about our run on Monday. It'll be fine, right? From what I understand I should be tapering down now. I never feel like my training is so intense that I need to taper, but taper I will. The Boy and I will take the canoe out today and explore a local river. No training and hopefully no swimming today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers