Tuesday, September 6, 2011

70.3* Weekend

This weekend I completed a 70.3*.

OK, no, the Branson 70.3 is not until September 18, and I did not complete my 70.3* all in one day.

Here's what I did. On Friday morning I got up, went to the pool and swam 1.2 miles. It was not an impressive swim, but I did it, and it took me 53 minutes and 2 seconds. It's not a great time, but it is better than the last time I swam a mile.

On Saturday, day two of 70.3* weekend, we went to El Dorado Springs to visit the in-laws. So my wife dropped me off in Collins, and I headed toward Wheatland on Hwy 54. At Wheatland I turned around and rode the rest of the way in to El Do. Here's where my asterisk comes in. From Collins it's 24 miles to El Do, according to the highway sign. So I rode 16 miles east, which takes you just beyond Wheatland. Riding back to the starting point would be 32 miles, and the 24 into El Do makes a 56 mile bike ride. When I arrived at my in-law's place, though, my Garmin read 54.73 miles.

Given that I was totally out of gas at this point, I called it good. I like riding Hwy 54 into El Do because there's a good number of hills, and there is a nice wide shoulder on the rode, and the rode is not that busy, but someday I'm going to ride it when it's not 100 degrees Fahrenheit outside, which it was. I got sunburned, and I love the biker tan. Bike shorts make for a very clear and delineated tan line on your legs.

Sunday was spent chillaxing with family. I'm not at all equating that with an endurance sport, I'm just saying that's what we did. Actually, we've been celebrating my son's b-day all weekend as well, so I indulged in a cake made out of ice cream sandwiches.

Monday morning I rolled out of bed feeling fine, ready to put the cap on the 70.3*. When I looked at the thermometer I praised our Lord and Savior for the wonderful blessing He bestowed upon me. The temp read 55 degrees F. I didn't know the thermometer went that low anymore. By the time I started running the temp was 59 degrees and it felt great. I basically did a couple of 4.5 mile loops so I could pick up Powerade at my garage as I went by. The last leg ended up being a 3.88 mile out and back. I did the half marathon in 1 hour and 56 minutes.

I felt great on the run energy wise, but I developed a little tendinitis in my left knee, and another little pain in my left hip. I think I'll be OK. Will just need a little rest. I did a half marathon a couple three weeks ago and finished in 2:06 feeling kind of pooped, but no pain. This time I have pain, but otherwise felt fine.

Thirteen more days to go when I have to roll it all into one. Let's do this.

*70.3 was actually only a 69.03.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers