Thursday, July 14, 2011

Shawnee Mission Triathlon-2011

Yes, we were able to finish this year! No lightening!

The day started at my parent's house. We stayed over the night before since they live in town and we live an hour and a half south. I woke up about 3:30 AM, dozed off and on until 4:50 AM when I got up. My wife and son got up and we headed over to the park.



I checked in. The Shawnee Mission Tri uses Tri Tats, so I already had my number on, but we had to get our age group mark. They initially marked me with and "F" for the 35-39 age group, but evidently since I turn 40 in September, I was put in the 40-45 age group, so the volunteer had to draw a "G" over my "F". So even though I'd aged up, they switched the groups around, and I had to start with the first wave at 7 AM again.

My swim sucked buoy again, though I felt better about it this year than I did last. I did very little breast stroking. It wasn't an option for me, just like when I swam in high school. The swim is 1000 meters, and somewhere around 750 meters I dropped anchor. I tried to look up at the finish, but couldn't see it because my goggles were all fogged up. Then I got off course and the kayak girl had to whistle at me to get back in line. I did finally get out of the water. I think my fingers were all wrinkly because I was in so long.



Got on my bike and started getting passed, and I didn't pass too many other cyclist. I enjoy passing fellows with expensive bikes, but that happened far fewer times that I would've liked. On the dam hill I passed a fellow with a very expensive looking bike and tri suit, because he was having mechanical problems. The next time I came around he was walking his bike back. I felt bad for him and prayed my bike wouldn't break. I felt worse for him when I saw the results. There were two men with DNFs. One had a swim time of 13 minutes! I assume it was him.

Please pass on the left! Not like this one knuckle-head who tried to pass me on the right, went off the pavement, and then knocked me and two other riders over when he tried to get back on, crashing himself at the same time. I wasn't hurt, but my chain came off. So now my hands are greasy and I'm wearing a white shirt. Not cool, knuckle-head dude!



Started running and passed a few people, but did get passed once or twice. I didn't get to the run course last year, so I was not familiar with it. The 4.5 mile run takes you down some trails below the dam, and it's a very cool run. At the finish I gave it a kick and crossed at 2:13.



So, I'm disappointed with my results, which you can see here, but hey, I took up this sport last year and this was my third triathlon ever. If I could ever learn to swim it would help, but honestly, my bike is pretty weak as well.


Had fun, and that's what counts, right?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am glad that you had fun! Right now that is what I am trying to capture again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it's a little like golf-the more I care the more work it is.

    ReplyDelete

Followers