Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Losing Weight

Just a little update on my weight. I know everyone is wondering.

Last year about this time I stepped on the scale and it read 152. I got on a few days ago and saw 150. Over the winter I was hanging around 166. At one point I was up to 168. (5'11 3/4", just so you know.)

Where did all the pounds go? I suppose my body consumed most of them once I started running, riding, and swimming more consistently into the Spring and Summer. For the most part I don't mind being so light. It seems like it would be easier to run, ride, and swim when I'm not dragging around eighteen extra pounds. However, some of those pounds may have been made up of muscle mass. I quit lifting in May and started logging more endurance miles. I'd prefer to maintain what strength I have, but I see very few big runners.

Diet wise I did make a little change about a month and a half ago. In addition to taking in a few more grams of protein in the form of protein powder, I've cut back on carbs. I'm not a teetotaler mind you. I did, however, give up sweet drinks of all kinds (for the most part), and I quit eating breakfast cereals, which are very carb-laden. So instead, for breakfast I try to get in my protein with eggs, sausage, and cheese. In the evening, after supper, I'll mix up a protein shake with some frozen fruit of some kind. A lot of evenings I'll even throw in some ice cream (I'm not a teetotaler).

For the last couple of weeks I've been very consistent with training, and I did a triathlon in that time. I only say that to say this, for whatever reason, for the last couple of weeks I've been voraciously hungry. I don't generally get hunger pangs throughout the day, but I've felt them recently. I don't snack on a regular basis, so it's not like I've given something up, and now my stomach is growling for it. Should I take in some more calories? When my weight drops to 149 I'm going to start throwing in an extra scoop of protein.

2 comments:

  1. I need to do SOMETHING to get off this 190 plateau. 170 would actually be sweat and I too am 5'11.
    protein shakes and vegetable snacks, here I come..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the weight loss! It sounds like you are doing all the right things!

    ReplyDelete

Followers