Friday, April 8, 2011

Another Crack at 4:48

Running a mile in 4:48 is hard enough, what with the economy, the revolutions in the middle east, and me insisting on putting a comma before the word "and" though it seems like convention today doesn't call for it, but when you're as lazy as me, it is pert near impossible.

I mentioned the other day how I tried to get my Garmin to read 4:48 in the pace section of the display while out on a run. Unless the plaques and tangles in my brain are more numerous than I thought, I also mentioned that I totally failed.

So yesterday while running, I thought I'd take another crack at it. This time, I tried it early in the run, like at mile 0.6. My previous attempt resulted in a display that read somewhere in the mid fives. This time, however, I am pleased to report I got it down to 5:02, for like 10 feet or so.

But here's the thing: It totally felt like my legs were falling off. Plus, I'm sure I looked like an idiot. My 0.6 mile mark is in a park in town, and yes, people were there. I have no idea if they were looking at me or not, but if they were, they must have thought I was running from a tsunami.

The rest of my run was uneventful, except for one little incident when I gave it a kick at the end. I'm not going to say much about it except that it is quite a relief when you think that maybe you had an accident, but later find out you didn't, actually.

OK, I need to get to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers