Monday, January 2, 2012

The Pretend Triathlete

I am not a real triathlete; to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. Oh, sure, I've ran in a few triathlons over the last couple of years, all Olympic distances with a 70.3 thrown in. So I do triathlons but I'm not a triathlete.

Triathletes hire coaches, have expensive bikes, swam in college or high school, and run about 100,000 miles a year. Not me.

My coach is me. My training plan is TBD. I paid $250 for my bike in 1991. I flop like a fish out of water when I try to swim. If I run 20 miles a week I feel like I climbed Mt. Everest.

In fact, not only am I not a triathlete, I'm ready to confess that I'm not even an uno-athlete. When describing my athletic prowess people use words like "awkward", "slow", and "is he serious?"

Nevertheless, I will attempt a few more races this year, and I have no time to waste. I already signed up for the 2012 Branson 70.3 Ironman.

So I need to get to the pool. The last time I swam was September 18, 2011, which, by the way, was the date of the 2011 Branson 70.3 Ironman. I had a rather poor showing that day, so that's a big reason I'm returning to the scene of the crime as if being led by the Ghost of Triathlons Past-I totally have to redeem myself. I thought I'd hit the pool pretty soon after the new year, but I may wait a couple of weeks to the let the New Year's resoluters clear out.

Until then, I'll lift weights and run. did I mention I need to get my bike put back together?

Here are my new running shoes:




Asics Gel33 Blur, or something like that. Maybe I'll write a review later. Until then stick to those resolutions; maybe I'll see you at the pool.

3 comments:

  1. Who are these people that described you as "'awkward', 'slow', and 'is he serious?'"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you are a triathlete. Don't discount yourself!!!!

    Good luck in Branson and through out the year. I will be rooting for you from Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the comments! We'll see how it goes this year. I keep thinking I'm ready to try something else but January roles around and I'm ready beat last year's times.

    ReplyDelete

Followers