Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sedalia Spring into Summer Du

This weekend I participated in the Sedalia Duathlon.  Last year I did this race after being up until about 1AM because I attended a baseball game in KC the evening before. This year I got to bed earlier. I wonder if it helped.

I got up at 5:30AM after some very strange dreams. One in particular will haunt me and I shall not relay the particulars here. I ate breakfast, and allowed myself a bowl full of carbs in the form of cereal. I chose this particular cereal because it is packed with 51 grams of carbohydrates per serving. Carbolicious. On the way there, I also ate an apple. I also sipped some coffee. However, like an idiot camel, I failed to properly pre-hydrate with plain old water.



It's not even advertised as a carbo-loading food.
We loaded up and left the house at approximately 6:30AM. Sedalia is about forty minutes from my house, and registration started at 7AM. But then my gas light was on. I never get gas until my gas light comes on, which usually isn't a problem, but it was a bit of an inconvenience this morning.

It turns out that we arrived at Clover Dell park in plenty of time. I registered, and just like last year, they were out of shirts. It's hard to prove you ran a race without the tee shirt. Dejected about being shirtless, I went ahead and racked my bike, stretched, and ran a short warm up run. I also started hydrating from one of my water bottles.

My race manager.

The Lotus

Now the race organizer called us all to the start line. There are no timing chips in this race, and it's a mass start. I know it's probably just the glasses, but the race organizer looks like Mo Racca. No pic, so just take my word for it. Mo gives us some instructions, and then we're off. It's a two mile run, eleven mile ride, and another two mile run. Not exactly Ironman, but it's a good start for me.

If you'll come back tomorrow, I'll tell you how the race went, and the day after that I'll tell you what soccer does to a thirty-nine year old's legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers