Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Adult Soccer

If you haven't played soccer since you were eight, let me give you a word of advice: Stretch!

It's kind of embarrassing, so don't tell anyone, but I hurt a quad muscle kicking the ball.

Kicking the ball! How do you get hurt from doing that?

It's just my right quad (the kicking quad), and thankfully it doesn't hurt when I'm running or riding. Also, I'm not the only geezer out there with this injury. There's at least a couple of other guys on the team complaining of this, and some other guys complaining of various other ailments, not to mention everyone huffing and puffing all over the pitch.

There is one part of playing soccer that I believe helps with triathlon training, and that's the running part. When I'm out there I find myself running full tilt, coming to a stop, and then sprinting the other way. Speed work? The part where you're flailing your legs out in a vain attempt to put your foot on a moving ball is not as helpful.

The tournament is 4th of July weekend, so pray that we all survive until then.

1 comment:

  1. I used to play softball as a teenager. I tried just throwing the ball around one day and by the end my arms were killing me! You are right stretching is key!

    Have fun with soccer!

    ReplyDelete

Followers