Saturday, December 18, 2010

Running to the Beat

Have you tried to run to one of those tacks with bouncing club music?  I have, and I can't quite get it to work for me.  Either the beat is too slow or I can't stay on rhythm. I find myself going, "Left, left, left, right, left, OK, here we go...dang it! I'm off again!"  Another distraction is the lyrics, which are usually one line for each "song", repeated a few dozen times.  The words to a recent one I listened to went something like, "She wants it."  I spent about a mile and a half trying figure out what she wanted.

While I run or workout I generally listen to some boring podcast where they're discussing the sociological implications of theistic evolution or some other equally tedious topic. I wonder, however, if I'd run faster with music playing. Obviously I can't listen to that cool, hip dance music the kids listen to in their night clubs, but maybe something else. Would I run faster with Hank Williams playing? Or Rich Mullins? Ace of Base?

Maybe someone should put out a track with that drill Sergeant from Full Metal Jacket screaming in your ears. Or something else more positive and encouraging (K-Love? Ack!)?

Here's something else I wish someone would invent: a device that lets you race a "ghost". You know how on Mario Cart you can race one of the ghosts, or rather, race against yourself or someone else who's already completed the race?  As you're racing, you can see where the other person was on the track at that time. What about one of those GPS enabled wrist watches that will do that for you? I don't need a 3D display or anything, just two dots going along a route.  Most of the time I'm running along and going, "OK, what was my time when I got to the stop sign yesterday? Oh yes, one minute. No, wait, that's one mile. Wait. The turn at the park is a mile. Wait, you certainly didn't run a mile in a minute, so the stop sign must be one minute, not one mile..." That goes on for about a mile and a half.

OK, speaking of running, it's time to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers