Friday, December 24, 2010

All Hail to the Lord of the Rings

Frodo managed to hold on to the One ring traipsing across Middle Earth while everyone from the Shire to Mount Doom tried to snatch it from him. I've lost three wedding rings in two years.

The first one I lost I had managed to hold on to for over 10 years. It was your typical gold band.  My wife and I were fortunate enough to go to Hawaii for our 10 year anniversary. Somewhere between my house and terminal B at KCI I lost it.  It no doubt sits at the bottom of a little river, waiting for the day some poor hobbit like creature discovers it and lets it ruin his life.

So, while in Hawaii I bought another ring at the big flea market they have at Aloha Stadium in Oahu. It was made out of some kind of stone. It cost about $3, and I wore it as my wedding band.  This one came to an unfortunate end because I took it off while working out in the garage. When I was done I tried to grab it, but the ring deceived me. It leaped from my hand and dove toward the concrete floor. When it hit, it broke into exactly three pieces.

The third ring of power I lost after my warm up swim at the Windsor Tri. It was a Christmas gift from my wife and it was made of titanium. I was sure it wouldn't break. But it did something I did not expect. After my warm up,  I interlocked my fingers behind my back to stretch my shoulders, and when I released my hands, the ring flew off into the grass.  I looked around but couldn't find it. I was sure that short guy with the big feet hanging around there grabbed it and put it in his pocket, but I couldn't prove it.

So, I've been ringless for a couple of months now, and I still feel naked without my Precious.  I feel the urge to tell people, "Yes, I'm married! I lost my rings, that's all."

Being the big nerd that I am, if I get a change to replace my wedding band, I'd like to get one of those replica One rings (it'll have to be a replica because, you know, the real one was destroyed). See.

In other news, I signed up for the K-Swiss Ironman 70.3 Branson.  Care to join me?

I intended to run this morning, but when I looked outside there was snow and sleet...oh, who cares? Maybe I'll go anyways.

OK, Merry Christmas! Peace of Christ to you this Christmas, and all year long.

God bless us all, everyone!

Frodo lives!

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas! I'm on my third wedding ring as well, but it mostly has to do with working at KCCBS for a few years, which required a lot of taking rings off and putting them in one's pocket. I'm not too fond of my present one, but it's lasted longest. I think I'll pass on the Ironman; maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete

Followers