Thursday, November 4, 2010

Nutrition

What I know about nutrition: Halloween candy is good.

I just listened to the Tri-Talk podcast about nutrition.  To date I have not done anything differently gastronomically since last January when I started "training" for a triathlon.  That's not to say I haven't thought about it.  It's always there, like that blender you can't remember turning off. "Isn't there something else I was supposed to do?" So I was pleased to hear the subject of nutrition come up. I have a lot to learn.

Turns out, I need to eat food.  Not too much, not too little. Don't eat a lot of Halloween candy. Eat healthy food. That's what I need to do.

Or is it that simple? The host kept using phrases like glycemic intake, post workout insulin uptake, and yam. I can barely run a can opener. You're going to have to tell me what specific foods to eat, and I'm talking name the brand, exactly what time to eat them, and how many times to chew.  Until then it's Casey's pizza and Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies.

The Casey's/Little Debbie Diet may not be working, however. I've gained six pounds! For all of October I've been at 158 pounds, which seems scrawny enough, but over the summer I had hit 152.  I haven't weighed that much since I was in boot camp in 1993.  So, what have I learned about nutrition? When you're hungry, find something to eat, but make sure you're training for some kind of endurance race or getting yelled at while you do push-ups.

Due to the overwhelming number of requests I've received, I'm relenting and showing you a picture of the gym to which I belong. Enjoy:


Where the magic happens.
 PS. OK, Blogger is messing with me. I just ran the spell check and it doesn't like the "ver" in "over".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers