Sunday, July 11, 2010

First Triathlon Race Report

My first triathlon ever was called due to rain and lightening.  Bummer! To be fair it was a heck of a storm.  It followed us back home to Clinton and blew over a bunch of trees and limbs, including a large maple tree limb in my yard.

Probably the best way to do this is using the Socratic method. I will provide the answers.

Q. So, overall, how did it go today?
A. Well, I didn't die, if that's what you're asking.
Q. No, just trying to get a general impression. Um, how was the swim?
A. Horrible. The water was a hot eighty-some degrees, which I'm sure sapped my strength, causing me to almost drown two times.  I did finish in like 27 minutes or so, in spite of the thick water in SM Lake.
Q. Thick water?
A. Yeah, I wasn't used to it.
Q. OK...let's talk about transition one.  Had you practiced transitioning from swimming to biking during your training?
A. Why would I? I already know how to put on a shirt and shoes.
Q. So, you didn't have any problems with T1?
A. Well, actually, it took like 15 minutes to get my shirt on. My torso was wet with that thick lake water, and all my shirt wanted to do was wad up in my pits and above my nips. It was embarrassing.
Q. Wow. So on to the ride. Were you able to make up any time after dealing with the, uh, you know, thick lake water?
A. Actually, again I was at a disadvantage. Everyone else had high dollar bikes with clipless pedals. I got passed like an arena league football.
Q. So do you think you should've trained differently?
A. I said they had clipless pedals. Did you not hear me?
Q. How was the route?
A. The route was up hill the whole way.
Q. I thought it was a loop.
A. It was.
Q. Hmm. OK, I'm done. Goodbye.

And there you have it. Just like the race report, the race ended when I was on the bike. I really wanted to finish, and I think I could have.  The swim was harder that I expected, the biking about as hard as I suspected it would be. The run? I'll never know.  Oh well, I have another race in two weeks in Windsor. See you there!

And now for some pics:
We celebrated our anniversary in Overland Park. Here's a view from our hotel. We stayed overnight since I had to be at the park so early.

Trying to be brave, before the swim.

My wife tried to get a shot of me swimming. That's me under the surface of the water, drowning.

Transition 1, and The Lotus.

How do these pedals work?

Weeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers