Saturday, February 20, 2010

How to Get in Shape

Run a triathlon. That's how I see it.

Well, competing in one triathlon probably won't get you into good shape. What I mean is, commit to running a triathlon and you'll be forced to train, which, if done correctly, certainly will get you into shape.

I signed up to compete in the Shawnee Mission Triathlon on July 11, 2010. I use the word compete rather loosely, because I very much doubt that I'll be competitive. However, I have wanted to be in a triathlon for a long time, but never committed. Now I have. I paid the $80 entry fee and everything.

This triathlon consist of a .62 mile swim (1000 meters), an 18 mile bike ride, and a 4.5 mile run. I've worked out on a semi-regular basis, off and on, more or less, for a long time, but I've never trained with any real goal in mind. I realize now, thinking about those distances listed above, that I need to be a little more disciplined in my regiment. And since the day I mailed in my entry form, I have.

In the past, if it were too cold, too wet, too much TV, I could very easily make an excuse to not get out. I find that now even on wet days I'll drive over the community center and run there (which I hate to do [if you want to talk, go to the coffee shop and stay out of the jogging lane!]).

We'll see how this goes. A wife, three kids, a house, and a yard are all things I will have to give time to besides training-and I'm glad to do. Oh, I almost forgot, TV watching and a full time job, those things will take time away from training as well. I'm less enthused about that!

So, more on this later, I hope. I'm trying really hard to not let this become one of those things I get excited about now, but forget in a month or two. I already spent eighty bucks, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers