Friday, October 23, 2009

Science Fiction Writers Tell the Future

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing inherently wrong with so called "reality shows." Not that I love them, mind you, there's plenty I haven't seen. One that I've never seen because the title always sounds kind of disgusting to me is Wife Swap (I feel dirty just typing it.)

OK, I just got back from washing my hands.

Sometimes people tell me about podcasts they listen too, and I think, well, that sounds interesting, but later I can't remember what they told me.

Here are my favorites:

  • The History of Rome. Mike Duncan explains it at just the level and pace that appeals to me, along with a dry humor.
  • NPR Science Friday. Hosted by Ira Flatow. Guests and topics that I find interesting. I especially liked a recent episode with They Might Be Giants.
  • NPR On Science. Science stories from Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
  • Get-It-Done Guy. There's a lot of Quick and Dirty Tips podcasts, but this is the only one that's had any staying power with me. Stever Robbins gives hints and tips on how to organize your work and life. Not all the episodes relate to what I need, but I still listen.
  • X Minus 1. Yes, the old radio show, in podcast form. If you like science fiction short stories, you should like this. They dramatize stories by science fiction writers. Since I've started listening I've already heard a couple from one my favorites, Robert Sheckley.

Years ago, probably in high school, I read a Sheckley story that has for some reason stuck with me all these years. I don't remember the title, but in the story there is a popular TV program that chooses a family at random and shows up at their house to record what they do day to day. If the audience finds you interesting enough, you win something, or something along those lines.

Well, in the story, the show finds this family and they turn out to be quite dull and they don't win. The family is disappointed and set about to do better the next time. But it's a one in a million chance that the show would pick you once, let alone twice. Nevertheless they start dressing crazy and doing everything a little off, (and the story ends something like this) so that next time they'd be ready.

From what I understand, the Henne family's been on Wife Swap, twice. I think they'd really, really have to do something interesting to get on TV a third time. But I could be wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Do you listen to WNYC RadioLab? Based on your other podcast choices, I think you would really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't, but thank you. I'd heard Radio Lab pieces on Morning Edition and didn't know why they weren't included on the On Science podcast. Now I know; they have their own podcast (and show!).

    ReplyDelete

Followers