Saturday, September 22, 2012

Branson 70.3 Tomorrow

Today's the day. Not the day of the race, but the day I get to go over and pick up my race packet and get all checked in for the Branson 70.3. My wife and I will drive over to the host hotel, I'll show them my ID, I'll pick up my swim cap and the obligatory tee-shirt, and I'll look at all the high-priced memorabilia in the Ironman store. There'll be a meeting I have to attend to explain the rules and logistics, then I'll go down to the beach and check in my bike and get my body marked. I'll probably go on over to The Landing and get my running stuff dropped off at T2 so I don't have to mess with that in the morning. After that, who knows.

My goal for this year is to do a little better than last year. The biggest opportunity is on the bike. I brought my Garmin so I can keep track of my speed. However, I plan to consume more calories this year than last year. That should make the biggest difference. I don't think I ate enough last year and by the end of the ride I was dragging. The hills here in Branson aren't a joke, so it's going to take a lot of Clif/Powerbars to get this done.

One thing that worries me are my various knees. They have been sore for a little while. Nothing major, just a little ache when I walk and stuff. Those little aches can turn into big pains when trying to run 13.1 miles. I did give them some rest leading up to tomorrow, so maybe it'll be OK. Still, I thought I'd better go ahead and get my excuse out there for why I might not finish.

Should I try for a full Ironman? I'll let you know after tomorrow. I'd like to say I finished one, I just don't know if I have the patience to train for one. Anyways, two 70.3s completed a year apart make ones 140.6, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers