Friday, September 3, 2010

I'm Training for Cyclocross

Well, not really. Not in a real way. My training is pretty pathetic.  I read these blogs about people going out on these 1,000 mile bike rides in the morning and I think, "I don't really know how to ride a bike, do I?"

It's hard to train for a ride when you don't know what the distance is.  The race is in Hermann, MO at the city park. There are some stairs to climb. Other than that I don't know anything else.

I have practiced jumping off my bike, picking it up, and then carrying it over an obstacle.  So far, no one's seen me do this.  I'm sure they'd think I was crazy. To add to the crazy, when I do it I act like I'm in a big hurry. So I can only imagine what that looks like.

"WTH?! What's that boy doin'?"

In my neck of the woods there's this old road that is closed off. I presume they closed it sometime after they built the dam. At any rate, it is subject to flooding, which leaves all kinds of debris in the form of logs scattered across the old pavement.  It's quite secluded, and I've only seen someone back there once, but they were fishing off the first bridge.  I'd say the entire length of the closed road is about a mile, so once you get beyond that first bridge, you're not likely to see very many people.

Where was I going? Oh yes. So I tear down that road, hopping off my bike to carry it over the logs, hopping back on riding some more.  Wow, just reading that back it does sound crazy. Perhaps if I were in the company of other cyclists it would look more normal. Alone it appears I've got some kind of obsessive compulsion. "Must carry bike and jump over log. Didn't do it right. Must do it again."

OK, enough for now. Search YouTube for Hermann Cyclocross. You'll find it. Enough for now.

Hermann Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers